Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Stages of Teams- Adjourning

Teams go through various stages including forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning.  Forming is when a new team comes together and the members are getting to know each other.  The storming stage follows as conflict occurs over roles, relationships and ideas.  Teams who learn how to get past the conflict and work together then enter the norming stage.  During this stage team members put aside individual goals to achieve the goals of the team.  Some teams stop at the norming stage.  However some teams move onto the performing stage where they can problem solve quickly and effectively.  At this stage team members trust each other, they are interdependent and can work without the guidance of the leader.  At the adjourning stage, the team members say good bye to each other as the project ends. 
I have been a part of various teams during my career.  Some teams that I have worked in have never gotten past the storming stage whereas others have functioned at the performing stage.  I believe that adjourning from a group that is performing well together is the toughest group to leave.   One team that was difficult for me to leave was a group of child care providers who I worked with in a consortium.   The group was together for almost 10 years.  During that time the members came to trust each other and work well together.  At the end of the consortium, we had a luncheon as a celebration.   The members still keep in touch years after the end of our group. 
Adjourning is an important stage for teams, because it offers members an opportunity to celebrate successes and say goodbye to each other.  In preparing to finish my degree in the next 6 months, I will be saying goodbye to a group of people that I have experienced this journey with.  Although not a traditional team, we have come to know each other through the weekly discussions and posts.  It will be a wonderful to be able to celebrate the conclusion of our classes and the receipt of our degrees together. 

2 comments:

  1. Terri,
    Adjourning from a team of child care providers can be very difficult. Child care professionals are by nature very caring and nurturing people. They quickly build bonds with those that they trust. I'm sure it was difficult for you to adjourn from that team. Because of the economy or the nature of the child care industry, many providers have closed their businesses over the years. I spend a lot of time working with these individuals and I feel a sense of loss every time a center closes. I hope we are in the same concentration because I enjoy the bond you and I have over our QRS jobs. Good luck!
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I agree that this is an unusual formation of team development, but nevertheless through our discussions, comments, blogs and shared interest, we have become a team. We each share a committed vision of becoming Early Childhood Educators and we are each working together to ensure that we reach the conclusive end - graduation. I have enjoyed the work and look forward to the adjourning where we can see the success of our labor. Great post.

    ReplyDelete