Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dealing with Conflict in Relationships

Handling conflict in life is inevitable.  Whether in work or my personal life there are times when I have had to handle a disagreement.   I currently work with a child care practioner who often sees things very differently than I do.  We share similar goals because we both want her program to do well and we both want what is best for the children and families.  We differ however because I often read rules and regulations very literally whereas she looks at them very liberally, challenging what is allowable and what is not by "reading between the lines".  Currently this practitioner has been asking for my "approval" of something she would like to include in a grant application.  I am not sure of an answer because I have no knowledge or experience that what she is requesting will be allowable.  The provider however wants me to say that I agree.   We have conversations and although we haven't found agreement, we have maintained a working relationship.  Some things that have helped me to manage this type of conflict is that I don't involve my emotions.  Even though I am frustrated at times,  I always maintain my professionalism and talk with this practioner without getting emotional, using the "It's not personal, it's business" approach to the conflict.   Second,  I handle the conflict and don't avoid it- I remain open to discussion.    Third, when I am not certain of an answer to this practioners questions, I ask others in my office to get clarification.  I focus on the facts and avoid getting into a philosophical argument with the practioner. 

To my colleagues who are also taking this current class on communication,  do you deal with situations like this and how do you maintain working relationships when you have a conflict or a misundersstanding?

1 comment:

  1. Terri, the best way to determine if something is an allowable cost, instead of asking you, why doesn't she contact her funding source. They can answer the question quickly and thus avoid the conflict between the two of you. I have encountered this with some of my colleagues, and this is the my answer to them. This provides a quick and precise answer to the question without have to guess.

    ReplyDelete