Friday, August 22, 2014

My Masters Journey- Time Well Spent

Over the past two years, I have studied to obtain my Masters degree while working full time and caring for my own two young children.   During this time, I have learned a great deal about myself as well as the field of early care and education.  Personally,  I have learned how to balance multiple personal and professional responsibilities.  I have learned the importance of passion and recognized it as the driving force of my work.  Professionally,  I have a greater understanding of the important stages of childhood and how to advocate for young children.  I have also reflected on my own family culture and the importance of providing children an environment that reflects and is respectful of their family culture.  I have learned many helpful techniques to use when teaching adults and how to create meaningful learning experiences for both children and adults.  I have explored my own ability to communicate and establish relationships of trust with both children and adults, as those relationships are the cornerstone of successful work with both children and adults.  Finally I have reflected on the knowledge and skills needed to be a successful leader.   Skills that I hope to use in my current and future work.

It is my goal to use everything that I have learned in providing professional development opportunities to early care and education professionals.  I hope to inspire other early care and education professionals to recognize their own passion for working with young children.  I also hope to promote the use of developmentally appropriate practices to provide quality early care and education environments for young children. 

I would like to thank all of my colleagues at Walden University...those who I began this journey with and those that I end this journey with.  It is my hope that you all achieve your dreams and that together we can create a better tomorrow for children around the world.  Best of Luck for future success!

I would also like to thank all of my instructors at Walden, including Dr. Dartt for your thoughtful feedback and encouragement throughout this process. 

1 comment:

  1. Terri,

    Congratulations and best wishes on your completion of your Master's. It has been a long but wonderful learning experience and I can't wait to see where it leads each of us. I wish you the best as you seek to inspire others in their work with children in the early childhood field.

    Congratulations and thank you for your encouragement and feedback to me as well!

    ReplyDelete