Saturday, August 24, 2013

Diversity in Early Childhood Edcuation- Goals for the Future

It is my hope that early childhood professionals would learn to value differences when working with young children, families and colleagues.  Working in the world in which we live today, differences are actually the most common element of our work.  Instead of fearing or judging these differences we need to embrace them as part of the world in which we live.  Difference does not mean "deficit" or "wrong"; it simply means that it is beyond what may be common for us.  However, we need to also consider that what may be different for one of us, may be common and normal for another.  Working with differences pushes us out of our comfort zones...but it is through this experience that we learn and grow not only as early childhood professionals but as human beings.  So this is my goal for the early childhood field-  lets value each person for their uniqueness and lets teach our young children to be open minded and respectful of differences so that we can create a future in which diversity will actually seem common and not "different". 


A note of thanks:   Thank you to my classmates.  It has been a pleasure getting to know you this semester through blogs and discussions.  You have taught me a lot about diversity and helped me to grow both as an early childhood professional and as person.  I wish you all the best and look forward to future classes together.  Thank you Dr. Sheri for your support and for feedback throughout this journey over the last eight weeks which encouraged me to step beyond my own comfort zone and helped me to gain a true appreciation for diversity. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Terri,
    I benefited from all the group discussions and blog posts about our own personal views of how we view the diversity that surrounds us and within ourselves. This class has helped me a great deal and I am glad you also benefited as well. Nice to have had you as a member of our little circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Terri
    I enjoyed reading your posts this semester. This one is great also. I appreciated your comment about your hope that all early childhood professionals would value the differences when working with children and families. Thanks again for sharing this semester, I truly enjoyed...Good luck and much success...Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terri,
    We must value difference celebrate all people. Thank You for your advice, wisdom and insight.
    Magretta

    ReplyDelete